
Ok this has gone on for YEARS since the day Kyle was born he has stayed up late...11:00, midnight he can stay up later than me many nights. I never understood what everyone was talking about - their babies went to bed at 7 or 8 pm....WHAT?! In my dreams. It consistently stayed this way for the past 5 1/2 years. Kyle goes "to bed" at 8 or 9 and actually falls asleep at 11 or 12. Sadie has started to follow in his footsteps. They will sneak into eachothers rooms at night and play. Of course when caught they are separated....that's if I have MY way. Ben thinks oh there's no reason for them to wake up in the morning...they LOVE playing together- they are being friends.
My Zach is many things- all of you know what a pill he can be- BUT I finally learned what it means to have a baby that sleeps. When an infant 7pm came and he was READY for Bed. He will even now ask to go to bed! Amazing. He sleeps for 12 hours and naps. He is an angel in the sleep department. Maybe it just took me 3 tries to figure out how it should be done. I have a few problems though
1. Kyle starts school in 5 short months and
2. When the baby comes my child that loves to sleep has to share a room with one of the others or be out of a crib and then the others can teach him their ways.
I'm really at a loss. How do I MAKE Kyle go to bed. I've read books....I'm reading books. I can't lock him in his room- he has to go to the bathroom.
Maybe my bedtime routine needs a makeover. I'm thinking of having quiet play time...no tv from like 6-7:30 if they need bath's it can be in there. After that it's snack, stories, scriptures, and bed. at like 8 or 8:15
Something's gotta give. The DR is not concerned...not until he starts getting less than 6 hours of sleep. I'm not sure about that. Kyle is usually up around 8 so he's not sleeping in really late...hmmm maybe one of these new books I have will help?! Got any tips???
10 comments:
Luke is not s sleeper either. But he does sleep more than Kyle. I've found no toys in the room helps. Wearing him out with play dates, running laps around the house, bike riding, swim lessons, whatever it takes. Also the same routine every night--drill and kill. Maybe wake him up at 7 or as soon as you get up--even if he's just watching cartoons, it might shift his sleep schedule a little.
Good Luck!!
I really like that you called zach a pill!! haha.
and I went to the Draper temple open house tonight and I saw this cute little kid with a cookie in his hand at the stake center afterward and he reminded me of Zach! And then I saw him screaming, being carried out by his father! Yep, definitely reminded me of Zach! Haha! Hope you're feeling better!
I was the same way as a kid. I would lay in bed for hours and watch the numbers change on the clock. I am still a night person. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions though...sorry you're not getting sleep. I hate functioning on little sleep.
I was going to suggest waking him up earlier too, but then I read he was already getting up at 8. :-(
We currently have Ryan and Emily in the same room together. Ryan stays up and plays in his bed (we have a rule that they can play as long as they're quiet and STAY IN BED). Emily is usually zonked out within just a few minutes. So my theory is that if Zach is a good sleeper now that he'll still be a good sleeper when he's in a big boy bed.
Maybe you should let Kyle have a sleepover and see how he does in someone else's routine. You know when a kid won't eat broccoli, but when they're at a friend's house and their friend eats broccoli so they try it? Maybe he just needs a different perspective.
I don't really know, it's one of those things. Addie was my good sleeper (after waking up all night for a year, that is) and Michaela kept Aidan up all night so I was nervous to put the two girls together. Michaela is now a good sleeper and Addie likes to run around and bug her. HOWEVER, that's mostly because of her move to a toddler bed so you never know I guess. I think kids are still learning and changing at that point. Aidan has gone through major sleep changes so I feel like anything is possible. I'm curious what your books say. My sister loves the books and uses them religiously. I always intend to and then forget the titles. Anyway, good luck!!! Seriously, Kyle can come over and have a sleepover! ;o) (and Sadie too, for that matter).
Seriously, I feel your pain Wendy. I feel like we've tried everything with Gavin. He's finally doing better, because we moved Brandon into his room, he seldom takes naps (allowing a "normal" bedtime), and he's just getting older. Now Brandon has become a challenge :( Maybe you can keep Zach in a crib, but move him into Sadie or Kyle's room. Or you could just have Sadie and Kyle share a room and keep Zach in his own room. Right now I'm reading No Cry Sleeping Method and it has a lot of tips on ways to get your child to be more tired in order to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. We can compare notes sometime ;)
I would lock Sadie's door. It sounds like they really get each other riled up. You could try that ticket system I mentioned awhile ago...like he's allowed to play only if it's quietly and if he's too loud you take away a ticket, then he gets privelages taken away or he doesn't get stickers on a toy chart or something. Sigh, I don't know. I think your bedtime routine idea sounds like a shot. If we don't start our routine at 7, there's no way our kids are asleep at 8. Also, consistency is key. Make them go to bed at the same time every night, and start the routine at the same time also. Good luck! But remember, some kids just don't need as much sleep. I'm sure some of the things you'll try will help some.
Keira won't fall asleep on her own for naps...even though she's exhausted. So, I sit with her. I don't look at her, don't talk to her. I just make sure she doesn't get out of bed. If she does, I don't look or talk to her...I just pick her up and put her back in bed. It used to take about 30 minutes b/c she would try to get me to play with her, but now it's maybe 15 minutes and she's out. I don't know if that would work for you little night owl, but it's really worked for Keira. I think I saw it on Super Nanny.
Wendy, your kids are so cute! Good luck with the lack of sleeping. Unfortunately I don't have any great advice for you...Mark usually doesn't have problems getting to sleep at night. :)
You can check us out at
markandkatiewillis.blogspot.com
It's a clever name, I know.
Congratulations on being pregnant!!!! How fun. Actually not really, it sucks to be pregnant, but you know. That is so funny that Kyle still doesn't like to sleep. I remember when he was just a little guy and you had trouble with that. I'm sorry. You could always tie him to his bed and put a bed pan in his bed for him to pee in. We do that. jk
Post a Comment