Thursday, February 4, 2010

I love them and they're mine



How many times have I gone to the store and heard "Are they ALL yours?" In my mind I think what a dumb question. I want to come back with "Do you think I'd be HERE if they weren't ALL mine? Would I subject myself to such torture as taking them ALL to the store if I didn't have to?" really they all look practically the same....and I wouldn't scream at children that weren't mine right?! Also I get "you're done right?!" whether I am or I'm not is not you're concern - what does it matter to you....I don't like leading questions like that.
So I must look so out of control that people feel the need to help me parent. "Oooh sit down in the cart or else you'll fall out" Please if I had a nickel for every time I heard that with Zach alone I'd be rich. It would have done him good to fall out..... I'm not kidding. :) or "don't run in the street" "wait for your mom" " was that your kids running up and down the ramps (during Sadie's ballet)" "oh please put that away you can't eat in here - I can't stand when people talk to my kids when it is intended for me. the other day in Target a lady told me i shouldn't leave my purse in the front of the cart....while i was HOLDING on to the back. That time I only had Maddie with me. Maybe there is a sign on my back that says "I would like you to tell me what you think".
Well for all these months I've been irritated at people saying these things to me CONSTANTLY. The other day we were at storytime. Zach did amazing....i think it was the first time he just sat there for the entire thing. No pushing or hitting just sitting. The room is in the back of the library. By the time i got my stuff and my kids zach had ran out of the room. Ok not just that but out of the library and by my car!!! Thankfully a friend was there to bring him back. Then it dawned on me- I really am out of control. Wow . So next time someone runs over to my cart to help my children or watch in horror as zach climbs out I won't glare and say "he's fine". ok maybe i will the time after that but for now I won't.

8 comments:

Spencer said...

haha! I seriously don't know how you do it. And read so much!

Stephanie said...

I love that. I remember the one at Target. And I had to laugh . . . if Spencer thinks you read a lot I hope he never sees my list! HA HA!

jack!e @ One Saturday Morning said...

haha I think you are doing a fabulous job with your kids! I had getting unsolicited advice!

Marcia said...

I get the opposite here about the number of children (being Utah). I get the "when are you having your next one" line a lot. But I have the same retort..."mind your own business"!

Melanie said...

Love the post Wen! I love the fact that your honest enough to say that Zach should fall on his head b/c I say it to Addison all the time. "Go ahead and fall out - next time you'll learn!" This old lady heard me in Walmart the other day and gave the biggest crusty. Oh well:)

Jessica Jane said...

I think you are great. You have busy active kids that's all.

I get some weird questions myself. At least your kids look like you and each other. ( =

Grant said...

They don't really say "you're done, right?"? Knowing you, I'm surprised you have held your toungue this long. :)

Ashley said...

I would be so annoyed if I got comments like that. Why are there so many people who feel they must speak their minds? I don't get it.

slideshow