Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Big Beef

Ok so you can probably sense a theme here on my blog.  I have a BIG PROBLEM with dentists.  So my poor little kyle's teeth has enamal worn off (we suppose from the acid reflux until he was about 2) so he needs like 6 cavities filled and 2 root canals.  WOW i thought i had it bad.  So I took him in monday morning for the first 2 to be filled.  I was told be the "billing lady" before the visit my insurance will cover tooth colored fillings 100% (that's all this dentist will do).  So the day AFTER services are done she calls me and has the nerve to tell me I owe them $62 because my insurance will only pay for the cost of silver fillings, I have to pay the difference.  So I call the insurance co.  If she had CALLED them like she was supposed to she would have found out they are 100% covered  for all teeth EXCEPT MOLARS!!!  But instead she just printed off a fee schedule off the internet not specific to MY plan.  So I call her back about it.  I tell her it isn't fair for me to have to pay this since she didn't get preapproval from my insurance.  She said well this is what thye told me and you seemed sure.  WHAT!!??  All I said was I think it's covered but I don't know.  The insurance lady on the phone said it is NOT my responsibility to know that it's theirs.  So back to the billing lady she's totally fighting with me on the phone.  Trying to tell me she sent in preapproval for the fillings at the office that day and that's why she called me the day after.  I kept trying to tell her that it's NOT preapproval when you do it after the services are rendered.  HELLO. It's my fault... I owe.  in her opinion.  In my opinion she didn't fully do her job and won't fess up.  I'm not sure what to do next.  I know it's ONLY 60$ but $60 is $60 I could buy so many things with that...groceries, or better something really fun on craigslist :)  What should i do.  I think my next step is to speak to the dentist himself and just tell him that this situation happened, the customer service was poor, and the employee rude.  What would you do???

5 comments:

Family of Strength said...

I'm with you on this one. $60 isn't that much but it's my whole budget for entertainment for the month!!! Talk to the dentist. Explain in an overly friendly, a little naively the situation. Lately, I've found that men eat this up, like they're your knight in shining armor or something. I don't know, all I know is that it works. It's gotten me a lot of extra perks on our new house. If it's a girl try to appeal to her "look at me I want to be noticed side", that's worked for me too.
(Why do I know these things? Bill says I'm always looking for a freebee...oh well!)
Good luck. And poor Kyle! OUCH!

TamBaum said...

Definitely fight for the $60 bucks. Be agressive but still friendly. As long as you are nice I find that they are more likely to rule in your favor.

Stephanie said...

Wow, I hope that's not the dentist I referred you to! I would totally fight for the $60, but I'm a principle kind of girl!

Michaelynn said...

Wow! 6 fillings and 2 root canals! What an awful thing for poor Kyle. I know this lady didn't do her job correctly, and you should totally fight for your money on this one, but I would also be seriously grateful that you're only looking at $60 here. Coming from someone who really knows how much dental work can cost ... $60 is a steal. Good luck!

Spencer said...

Hey Wendy! You can add me to your links if you want. I got a blogspot a while ago but havent really used it. I'm going to start writing more...and hopefully making my page cool like yours!

slideshow