Monday, September 15, 2008

An Unbelievable Sunday Drive




So we decided it would be fun to go for a nice Sunday Drive as we got out of stake conference at 12.  We hurried home, ate dinner, and left around 1.  We set out to see Mt Rainier up close.   So I grabbed a few snacks for the kids, my diaper bag (which had 2 diapers in it), and the stroller-we almost didn't even take this.  Zach was in bare feet, but I made the kids wear shoes.  We thought we'd be gone about 3 hours.  I had a pretty bad headache, and tylonal or ib profen didn't help.  So in the car I took a viacadin which for all of you thinking it may have been a bit extreme it didn't even take it away!!! I still have it :) On our way in there was an accident blocking one lane so we waited for probably 20 minutes, and 2 miles to get through.I started feeling sick, afraid it was the medicine I took- but I think it was the bumpy roads....though I never get car sick...unless I'm pregnant.  No don't even go there!  Anyway we drove a while further and decided to come home because we didn't feel like going into the national park well this time Plus we have the trusty GPS you know??  We drove for about 1 1/2 hours and the road dead ended (thank you GPS) and  turned around and drove for about 10 minutes and realized our back tire was flat.  So ben changed it.  We kept going this time REALLY slow. And we were VERY careful not to go over rocks...so we thought Not 10 minutes later we got another flat!!! We could see the air pouring out of the tire we had jumped out and ben said "turn the car off" so i quick as I could went to do so (we didn't know that it was just the tire at this point) and smacked my forehead on the door frame of the car. I seriously almost blacked out for a second!!  So I have a fairly large egg bump on the middle of my forehead I'm sure will turn black and blue.  We had no cell signal.  So we "walked" up the mountain probably about 2 (1 hour) miles to where we could get service to call his parents to find  a tow truck.  thank goodness we had the big stroller.  After a few calls there was a truck that would come get us.  But ben was going to have to meet him at the paved road (like 10 miles back in 1 hour)!! So he took off running and I walked with the kids back to the car for shelter/warmth. FYI we're still in our church clothes!!!  We made it back to the car in an hour just as it was getting dark.  Remember in my Tagged List I say that I plan emergency escape routes...well I was except this time it happened to be how to get away from a bear or mountain lion.   Ben after about 5 miles ran into a HUNTER hunting bear (confirmed all my fears on the way down to the car of bears) and he took ben down the mountain to a store where he waited for not 2 minutes when the tow truck showed up.  I made it back to the car with the kids as it was becoming dark (about 8 now)- we started walking up the mountain at 5:30...the tow truck made it almost to our car about 8:30  but we had to drive it 1/2 mile on the rim cause a boulder blocking part of the road.  Yeah that sounded TERRIBLE like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Well the tow took us (were were back in the mountains 10 miles!!, and our car to the paved road where ben called a friend before he took off "running" (very very good friend that didn't mind coming to help us- thank you Chris Lunsford)  He saved us really!  He was able to find the intersection where we were and took us home.  We couldn't say thank you enough. So our car is stuck in Enumclaw, but at least it's not in some mountain somewhere!! It could have been SO MUCH WORSE.  I'm so thankful that we were able to get home, and get our car out (the tow truck driver kept telling ben he should have his four wheel drive truck...so we're lucky it wasn't someone else who refused to go over these mountains to get us), and have some one that was kind enough to come and get us.  We finally arrived home at about 10:30!! A sunday drive not to be forgotten!!!

10 comments:

MerriLynn said...

Holy cow!! I think I would have started crying! What a Sunday drive. We also went on a Drive to Enumclaw, but got back home in just over an hour. Glad your home and safe and no bears got you!

KT said...

wow, that sounds like one crazy day!

Ashlee said...

I'm glad you survived! That sounds horrible. I would have lost it! Talk about stress...

Erin said...

Hey Wendy-- I saw you left a comment on Elena's blog so I thought I would see what you are up to... I am glad you started a blog, it is an easy way to keep in touch. Plus, you get to show off those cute kids of yours!!!

m said...

Good thing Grant wasn't with y'all, or you would have abandoned the car as a total loss and I would have to trek back up with my GPS a week later ;) -Tell Ben Hi

Stephanie said...

I saw that you called Sunday - I'm sorry we weren't around to help! I'm so glad you made it back okay. It's weird because after I read that I was thinking that was one of my biggest fears (to have a flat while driving alone with the kids and no cell phone) and when I got home on Monday after running around I heard a loud hissing noise. A couple hours later my tire was completely flat, in my driveway! I had gone to Aidan's school, aerobics and Target and was truly being watched over!! Your story made me realize how unprepared I am and I got really lucky something worse didn't happen!! Whew!

Kelly Munns said...

that is terrible! oh my gosh, i think my head just started hurting too. ok and i need me some wendy pictures! i need to see some that i can blow up to see who the kids look like! they're super cute, btw!

Tanya said...

Um HELLO! of course i remember you! what the heck...you don't forget a girl like you. that story was too much for me! i don't think my marriage would have lasted through it! your kids are so cute! i am so glad we are back in touch.

CGhica said...

Wendy, it reminds me of this entry from my cousin's blog http://lifeupstream.blogspot.com/2008/07/willow-lake-was-lovely-and-then-we.html I just wonder when it is our turn! Glad you made it home okay.

Ashley said...

Wow, that's crazy! I'm glad you guys are okay.

slideshow